Friday, December 7, 2007

Why My Hair is Black (For those who were wondering)

Halloween is one of the best holiday that I can think of. In no other holiday does one get to dress up as something completely different from who they are--but you also get FREE CANDY!!!Although it is well past Halloween and many people are already looking to the new, more exciting holidays like Christmas and New Years--I still have a lasting, semi-permanent memory of that exciting day.

Unlike most "ordinary" people, I decided to be more original with my costume, and come as a complete opposite of myself. Contrary to many people's beliefs I am NOT normally an "Emo Kid". I am a clean cut, respectable and pretty much harmless kid--so for Halloween I thought it would be fun to be the person that my friends apparently saw me as.

In order to make such a project possible I needed to think of all of the things that went into becoming and embodying all that was "Emo". I had the entire black wardrobe, the skull and crossbones shoes, the depressed attitude and pessimistic outlook on everything, and a reliable source to apply dark, heavy eyeliner to me the following morning--but I was still missing something. That something was the signature black hair that defined so many people as being associated with the goth/emo look of our time. To understand how drastic of a change this was for me; you would need to have known me before I underwent my "Emofication". I have naturally brown hair with a medium darkness, I never really get in trouble, and I am always having a good time doing whatever I need to do; so this much of a change was sure to throw in some occasionally gasps, a few strange looks, and an all around confusion of what I had done to myself. The night before, I bought the hair dye to turn my hair from a nice chestnut brown, to what the company called "Radical Black". I went home, washed my hair, and proceeded to make the biggest mistake I have made in a long time.

Since I had never dyed my hair before, I read over the instructions carefully so I wouldn't do anything stupid that would cause me to regret my decision to actually dye my hair in the first place--but obviously I didn't read them good enough--and I will tell you why in a moment. I put the dye into my hair, and rubbed it throughout my entire head and into the roots as the instructions said. The only thing I had to do know was wait... Once again I read the instructions to see how long that wait was supposed to be; and from what I saw, I was to keep it in for 40 minutes and then wash it out--and that's just what I did.

Halloween was a blast, my new identity caused some shock amongst my friends and even served as a conversation starter with my AP Spanish teacher who couldn't believe that it was really me underneath all of the black and mascara. I went home that day tired from the very busy day and went to the shower, looking forward to going back to normalcy. As I showered I saw that the dye was coming out of my hair as I washed it; but what I didn't realize was that it was only the excess on the surface. I got out, dried off, and looked into the mirror to see that my hair was still the jet black mass that it was the day before.
I went to school the next day and was greeted with the same comments of: "Did you dye your hair permanently?"..."Are you keeping your hair like that?"...and an assortment of other senseless questions. I didn't know how to tell people that I had screwed up the dye job by leaving in the dye too long, but when I finally did--they weren't surprised...(and honestly neither was I).
That concludes the story of how my hair made it's drastic transformation from brown to black overnight. I hope that it has answered the questions that so many people wonder about on a daily basis (when they should be caring about other stuff) and hopefully now I won't be bombarded with stupid questions about nothing in particular. After all, it's just hair.

No comments: