Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Musical Theater

As I've said before, I love all aspects of music. I am also really big on the performing arts, and have seen a lot of musicals throughout my life. I am always amazed in the way that directors and writers have been able to compose the music, lyrics, and general ideas that have made many successful musicals throughout the years.
One of the most recent musicals that I have grown to admire is The Wedding Singer. This is the theater version of the classic movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. This musical, starring Stephen Lynch, is equipped with a full array of songs, both from in the movie and many new original numbers--this musical has made headlines all over the Broadway world. Here is a film clip of the show's opening number: "It's Your Wedding Day".


Another musical that has been turning heads is one of the newest musicals to the Broadway Circuit. Jersey Boys, a musical about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, uses original songs from the Four Seasons to tell the story of how the group was formed. It is running on Broadway currently, and was also the show that St. Ignatius chose to use as the school's benefit this year. This is a video of the Broadway cast performing at the Tony Awards--enjoy!





The last show that I would like to talk about is Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast. It has been one of Broadway's sixth longest running shows, and has been done in over seven different languages! Though I wasn't on Broadway, I have also performed in the show as Lumiere, the French candlestick--so naturally I have a strong appreciation, connection, and admiration of the show. Here is a clip of an amateur cast performing 'my song' "Be Our Guest" (I was unbale to find an original Broadway Cast--sorry).

No comments: