Friday, November 30, 2007

The Tedious Art of Coloring

Like most kids growing up I had to know how to do everything. I was in a constant state of learning and had no time to stop, relax, and take my time on anything for more than a minute. One of the most frustrating things I wanted to learn was how to color a picture with the skill, neatness, and precision that my mom colored with. I tried to sit still for more than my usual 20 seconds; however such a task was difficult for a toddler with the attention span of a fly. I was awestruck by the way that my mom used to put a dark outline around the inside border of a picture then fill the remaining space using a lighter version of the color outlining. This technique caused the pictures to jump from the page and form lasting images in my mind.

I tried to do the same, but was unsuccessful dozens of times. With the idea of failure resting in my mind I attempted the feat one last time--SUCCESS! With this finally feat achieved I became a coloring machine. Coloring book upon coloring book were completed monthly and I had devoted my free time to honing my talents and making "presents" for my family. However, like every other great story, this one had some sad aspects in it.


As I began to grow up I found that with school, friends, sports and other commitments I no longer had time to color as much. What I thought was going to be my calling was now nother more than a hobby that I could do only when I had the time. The once full coloring books were now empty as they sat in a desk drawer collecting dust. My tools (crayons) were now broken or completely worn down to nothing. This was what I thought to be one of the darkest times of my childhood, but as I look back on it, it was only the beginning of new experiences, oppotunities and chances to prove to myself was I was truly capable of when not focused solely on one thing. I had become a starting blocker for my 7th and 8th grade volleyball teams and also excelled in singing and performing in my school's choir. By being able to see past the crayons, colored pencils, and blank pictures I noticed that all of my potential was revealed--and I liked it. I was able to do new things, try and fail at others, learn from my mistakes and move away from the childish past that I tried to cling onto as I grew up. In High School I was reintroduced to coloring once more; this time in a more difficult, yet educational way. For science class we are required to do a number of coloring sheets to help us learn different aspects of choir. Although it is hated by a majority of the school--including myself at times--I find it to be a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the stressful lives we all live. it brings us back to the times when we could color a picture of a cat any color that we wanted, or the sky green and ground blue. It not only brings back nice memories; but it also reminds us that there is still that little kid inside all of us--and that that little kid is never going to go away no matter how much we grow up.

No comments: